What Do I Do If I Am Charged And Arrested With A Criminal Offense!

If you, or your child, are arrested, or charged, for anything, be polite, but careful.

Criminal Defense Attorney
What to do if charged

If you have been charged with a crime, do not panic. Remain as calm as possible, and be very polite to the police. The police have a difficult job – don’t make it harder for them by behaving rudely. Give them your identifying information such as name, address, telephone number, date of birth and other personal identifying information. If they need to take you into custody, do not resist or run!

Ask the police for what you are being charged, and, if you are taken into custody, if you need to post bail to be released. It’s okay to ask these questions, JUST DON’T VOLUNTEER ANY INFORMATION about the allegations, charges, or possible complainant against you.

If there is a bail amount set on the warrant, or if you need to post bail to be released, contact a family member, lawyer or a bondsman to assist you in posting bond. If the bail is too high, and you cannot afford to post it (even through a bail bondsman), then you will be held and presented to a judge on the next business day for your bail to be reviewed. Once again, DON’T VOLUNTEER ANY INFORMATION about anything, even if you are told that providing information, or a statement, will lower your bail amount. This is ploy that often causes those arrested to give a statement, or information, that later results in irreparable problems when defensing their case in court.

If you are being charged, the police already have enough for probable cause to charge you, or take you into custody. What this means is that anything you tell the police cannot require them to just let you go with a warning; particularly, if you are being charged with a felony, or by warrant.

In most cases, the statements that people give police when they are immediately arrested are never helpful to them; rather, they are generally most helpful to a prosecutor or police. If you have something that you believe will exonerate you, or explain your actions, SAVE IT FOR YOUR LAWYER!

Scroll to Top